Millions of people around the world fall asleep to their favorite music or podcasts every night. But is it safe to sleep with earphones on?
The answer is both yes and no. There are both risks and benefits to sleeping with earphones, and it’s important to weigh both sides before making a decision.
Risks of sleeping with earphones
- Hearing damage: Listening to music at high volumes, even for short periods of time, can damage your hearing. This is especially true if you sleep with earphones on and don’t wake up when the volume gets too loud.
- Ear infections: Earphones can block the natural flow of earwax, which can lead to ear infections.
- Ear pain: Wearing earphones for long periods of time can irritate your ear canals and cause pain.
- Sleep disturbances: Wearing earphones while sleeping can disrupt your sleep cycle and make it harder to get a good night’s rest.
Benefits of sleeping with earphones
- Noise cancellation: Earphones can help to block out noise from your surroundings, which can be helpful if you live in a noisy environment.
- Relaxation: Listening to calming music or nature sounds can help you to relax and fall asleep more easily.
- Pain relief: Listening to music can help to distract from pain and discomfort.
- Sleep tracking: Some earphones come with sleep tracking features that can help you to monitor your sleep quality.
Tips for sleeping with earphones safely
If you do choose to sleep with earphones on, there are a few things you can do to minimize the risks:
- Use low volumes: Avoid listening to music at high volumes.
- Use high-quality earphones: Choose earphones that are comfortable to wear and fit snugly in your ears.
- Take breaks: Avoid wearing earphones for more than a few hours at a time.
- Clean your earphones regularly: Earphones can harbor bacteria and dirt, so it’s important to clean them regularly.
Whether or not to sleep with earphones is a personal decision. If you do choose to sleep with earphones, be sure to follow the tips above to minimize the risks.